“Rich Beem is one of the finest leaders in the IP community… I hold him in great esteem and always look forward to working with him.” – Edward Manzo
With more than 30 years of experience in patent law across a range of technologies and industries in the U.S. and abroad, Rich enjoys working with each client to serve their business and to protect their intellectual property. From preparation, filing, and prosecution of patent applications to litigation, trials and appeals, he assists clients in securing their intellectual property rights — and, more importantly, contributes to the success of their innovations and ultimately to the growth of their business. To serve clients’ national and global intellectual property needs, Rich maintains relationships with top lawyers who assist in protecting inventions and technologies in many other regions and countries.
Rich is past president of the U.S. group of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) and a leader at the bar locally, nationally and internationally. He has published and lectured on patent law and practice in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
Legal and technical experience
Rich has business and technical experience, having worked as a refinery operations engineer for Amoco Oil and as a technical sales representative for Nalco Chemical prior to entering the private practice of patent law. He also served for two years as law clerk to the Honorable Edward S. Smith, Circuit Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. During this time, Rich worked on hundreds of appeals from the Patent Office and federal courts and tribunals. Since then, he has continued building an extensive network of associates worldwide through his leadership and involvement in U.S. and international professional associations.
Rich has worked with clients locally, nationally and internationally in many industries and technologies, including:
- Chemicals and polymers
- Computers and computer-implemented inventions
- Internet-based applications and services
- Manufacturing and processes
- Mechanical and electro-mechanical devices
- Medical information systems and devices
Rich has extensive experience as a patent trial lawyer, including appearances in U.S. district courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and in the appellate phase before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Also, he often acts as co-counsel or local counsel with referring attorneys in patent infringement cases.
See representative cases to learn more.
Education and professional experience
Academic qualifications include:
- J.D. cum laude from the University of Houston; Editor, Houston Law Review
- Mediation Certificate from DePaul University College of Law
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Edward S. Smith, Circuit Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- B.S. in chemical engineering from Iowa State University
Law practice admissions:
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (including trial bar)
- U.S. Supreme Court
Additionally, Rich is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Active in professional associations, including:
- President, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI-US), (2009-2012); Information Technology and Internet Committee
- American Bar Association (ABA) Fellow, IPL Section Liaison to EPO – U.S. Liaison Council
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA); Europe and Japan IP Committees, Electronic and Computer Law Committee
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC), Secretary (1992-94)
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA), IP Law Committee, Chair (1997-1998)
- President, Chicago Engineers Foundation of Union League Club of Chicago (2014-2015)
Check out Publications to see recent speeches, videos and more.